Monday, April 29, 2013

Life & Death Issue #3: Slavery

I've already posted my last theological post, but I guess this one here will count as my last "social issue" post.

A lot of times when we hear the phrases "call for justice" or "the issues" thrown around, they seem stale and without meaning. But if you get into the nitty-gritty details of what's going on in our world right now, those words won't mean "nothing" anymore.

Most of what's here on this site is pretty much textbook information on the Biblical worldview summaries and peripheral information that show how, as I found out, it seems to all make sense. The "issues" I've brought up along the way (the first one closely related to the topic of this post) are things all of you need to take notice of no matter what philosophy or worldview you've trusted yourself to. And it's not just about telling people to take notice or to create "awareness," but about telling people to actually take action and stop bad things from happening especially those who understand the theology here. And especially especially the people who trust in it.

Have you ever thought to yourself, "If I lived in the 1800s, I would have fought against slavery"? Well, you can live that dream of becoming an abolitionist, because today cruel slavery is the biggest it has ever been. There are 27 million slaves today scattered throughout the United States, Germany, the Netherlands, Asia, Africa, etc. There may be some trafficking even happening in your own hometown. You have to open your ears to this information; it is not stale statistics when you hear directly from people fighting it. Take a listen to this radio program: http://www.lineoffireradio.com/2013/01/15/the-word-of-god-and-social-justice/

You won't understand everything the host/interviewer talks about unless you hear the other Line of Fire episodes and the other radio programs that I've linked to on my "Cool Links" page. I heard this episode last, chronologically, so I know that when he mentions other controversial topics here (but barely touches on them), he isn't making inflammatory statements. He's far from a hater. Craaazzzy far from being a hater.

This installment is also about an hour and a half long. Six years ago I wouldn't have thought I would ever have the patience or interest in listening to anything without tuning out. I think the turning point was right before Barack Obama was first elected, when I was still a young 'un in high school. As a fellow black and white person, watching him speak on TV was very cool. The speeches I saw were usually over 50 minutes and I got through them in one sitting. Looking back, I'm glad his rhetorical skills sparked interest in me to pay attention to stuff (about world events, certain government stuff, anything information-dense, etc.). I voted against him last year, and if you pay attention to stuff yourself and do some research, you'll know why.

I can say that I think everything linked on my site is worth the time to check out; but even if you gain the patience, you may not have the time to watch, read, and listen to it all. You have responsibilities. But 90 minutes on this topic...you can spare that. Maybe 2 hours today to get the peripheral/background info, too, for a better understanding of everything being said.

Back to the main topic: slavery is alive and well and it's happening in many many big cities...forced prostitution, psychological manipulation, economic slavery and more. Hear the radio program. Learn the details. Don't let it keep living ignoring it will add to the problem.
He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.
 
“There comes a time when silence is betrayal.”


― Martin Luther King Jr.
Research & Action
www.thejusticeproject.wordpress.com
http://www.freetheslaves.net/SSLPage.aspx?pid=362
http://www.antislavery.org/english/


 



"Footnotes"

On Making Any Moral Pronouncements Calling anything Good or Bad / Good or Evil...
~ Is Having a foot in an ethical worldview logical? ~
An R.C. Sproul speech -> a short 30 mins. of your time
On humanitarian* work versus humanism -> another RC speech
Ravi Zacharias: Existence (the referenced pictures) | Lecture Two pt.1 and pt. 2 | Interview
The Civil Debate on abortion rights vs. life rights-> www.youtube.com/lifereportfan
My first post-> on some of my ignorance being fixed

* The secular is the here-and-now. Believing that the here-and-now is all that exists that there is nothing "meta" (alongside) the physical is the philosophy of secularism. (Metaphysics would include subjects such as the transcendent, eternal, and the created-yet-everlasting.) That explained, humanism is not a synonym for charitableness. One can do tons of humanitarian work and yet fully reject humanism.

-Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment